The Manor of Claxton

In Domesday Book, the greater manor of Clachestone was held of the King by the family who much later became the Dukes of Rutland. It was held off them by Robert of Ropsley, whose granddaughter Lora married Ralph Bozon (no relation of Higgs) around 1260. More about the non-nuclear Bozon family here. Ralph's tomb effigy lies in Clawson church, and they made their ancestral home in Clawson until 1525.


Claxton Manor House

This lay just north-east of St Remigius's Church, in Castle Field, so-called because castles are posher than manor houses, just as a manor house is posher than an improprietor's house. Nothing now remains except a mound, a bit of moat (no duck-house, but inconveniently the Victorians built the church shed in the middle of it), and a string of four fish ponds, one of which is now in our domain.


Bozon's Bell

Long before duck-houses hit the headlines, five knights of Clawson rose to become Members of Parliament. Sir Edward and Sir Henry Hastings, Sir John Bozon and his son Sir John, and Sir Henry Bozon. Sir John junior gave four bells to the church around 1390, cast by Johannes of York, one of which survives. It's now part of a peal of eight, rung with some of the longest bell-ropes in the country. More about the church and its bells here.


Clawson or Claxton was an Anglo-Danish settlement - Klakkr's Tun.